January 4, 2011

52 Week Dog Photo Project

I had an epiphany! OK I didn't, I stole a great idea. *shame on me* I'll start at the beginning.

First comes dog -  then comes walks - then comes Mom with the camera case! Hobby photographers, during the film camera era, consisted of a small, select talented group. With the onslaught of digital cameras, shutterbugs are popping up everywhere! 

About 4 years ago when DSLR's were becoming affordable, we got Kodee (who I might add was not so affordable). I believe the conversation at our house went like this. "Since your getting a dog, I decided I'm getting a camera to document your expense err I mean experience". Men. {Opps. Thinks to self. I wonder how many male readers just stopped following me?}
[Read More...]

OK I admit it. Best thing my husband ever did. Our lives have been so enriched since that first purchase. Point 1, we are now avid  hikers. Just yesterday, my husband tried to kill me by taking me up a steep, snow covered slope, smack in no man's land. Once I breathlessly recovered from the climb and trauma, I forgave him as I got my best (yet) winter photos.  Point 2, lots of exercise is the best thing a Cavalier owner can do to keep their dog fit. Exercise and a quality food are a must for Cavaliers because they are at high risk of developing heart disease (MVD). Point 3, my own Doctor, tells me not to kid myself; to get moving too. Point 4, we now take adventurous day-trips to great, unexplored communities. You know all about my day-trips, I often make you read about them here!

Steep Snow Covered Slope Photo of the Day
 Bet your thinking, so what happened when you suckered him into getting yet another Cavalier and Becky came along. Sigh, a new spiffy zoom lens appeared. Then it happened. The shutterbug virus spiralled out of control in our house. First it spread to the girls and finally I caught the bug myself. It swept through our house, leaving no survivors. The end result, four people, four cameras. Which brings us to Point 5, our 20-something daughters don't mind spending the day on a photo hunt adventure with their 50-something parents.

OK, back to the dogs. I've decided, 2011 is going to be my year to focus on photography. Recently I stumbled across a dog photographer who's photography style really appeals to me, Scruffy Dog Photography. Could the name be any cuter? Lucky for me, Scruffy Dog has a great blog frequently updated. Such an inspiration! Unlucky for me, she runs a limited member FlickR "52 Week Dog Photo Project" group.  A small group of dog fanatic photographers, commit to posting one photo a week on FlickR. To give you an idea, here is a finished project.

I was too late to apply for this year, so my epiphany was to follow this group and quietly do my own "52 Week Dog Photo Challenge". OK not sure about the quietly part. I just blogged it to friends, family, enemies and the cat next door. Hopefully by committing myself to taking a weekly dog photo, reading their discussions and viewing others works, I evolve a better hobby dog photographer.


Photos Updated Every Friday
Click on this  Badge through out the year to zoom to my FlickR account
  Here's the plan. I made a "set" on my FlickR account and am committing each week to capturing one dog photo. I wonder where all this hard work will take me. Can you imagine how sad it would be if in 52 weeks my photos look the same? At the end, I hope to have a wonderful diary of  52 photos. I hope the end result will be visually appealing enough to print my own photobook for family and friends for next Christmas. Wish me luck!
Week 1

Go Fetch!

~ Ramblings by Debbie

13 Comments:

Karen Friesecke said...

Good luck with your project! You are very enterprising! I'm too lazy to take good pics so I'm posting pics taken by others :P

Cavaliers Corner said...

Well I think it's a gorgeous idea...no matter whose idea it was first. Do it and we'll all enjoy seeing your great photography. Love that photo of the Day with the icicles. Great camera. What do you use?

houndstooth said...

I have seen some blogs that participate in this challenge. I didn't know there was an official sign up anywhere, but I guess in a way, we always do our own anyway, since we do Wordless Wednesday on our blog every week. I know that there are a few blogs out there with photograhs that have really inspired me and I've been working to get better shots myself. We just got a new camera for Christmas, so I'm in even greater tilt mode!

We got the hiking bug this year and almost every weekend we find ourselves out on a trail. I love it! It's always so cool for me now when I find other people who are into hiking with their dogs like we are. I'll be looking forward to your photos!

I love those little cartoons you made, too!

♥I am Holly♥ said...

We love that photo of the day with the stream and icicles! Beautiful!!! We know you can get lots of great pictures!! Lots of love, Holly and mom

Kristine said...

What a fantastic idea! Lots of luck.

I take a photo, at least one, of my dog nearly every single day. Granted, not many of them are very good and my camera kind of sucks. But this challenge sounds like a lot of fun! Your first photo is definitely a winner.

Remington said...

Great photos! You have a great eye for capturing things. Best of luck on your project!

Debbie said...

I think that's awesome - I had been thinking of doing the same thing - now I think I will for sure. My youngest took a picture of Rylie today that I just love - I just might steal it for my first week's picture!

Sammy the Cavalier said...

That is a great idea, hope you have fun doing it, and I can't wait to see more pictures!

Soggibottom said...

Nope....... that still looks just like me !
now come on... how can you not take a good photo when someone has such a fantastic profile like that :-) xxx
luv AMES X

EG CameraGirl said...

GOOD for YOU! I hope you stick with it!

katie, Maizey and Magnus said...

Ooh Kodee-your ears look like Maizey's when she goes in the snow-covered in snowballs!

I love this idea, but hesitate to give myself one more project.LOL So we will have to follow your journey.

Walking is so important, but something I am way too lazy about. That's why I started a new walking challenge this year. We would love to have you join us if you want. I will post the details soon if you are interested let me know. Can't wait to see your year in pics!

Tweedles -- that's me said...

I love your photography and I think are inspiring to me.
xoxo
tweedles

Beyond the Dog Dish said...

Thanks for the compliments, its a fun hobby. Cavaliers Corner, I use a Canon xsi and I really enjoy it. Before that I had the SX110 to start out. I also have friends who take great photos with Nikons

About Me

My photo
Loving life with family and friends while exploring my passions; writing and photography. All with my two, Cavalier King Charles Spaniels in tow on day-trips along the Greater Toronto Area waterfront trails and local communities.

Add Miss Kodee On FlickR

MissKodee. Get yours at bighugelabs.com

Bark'n About © 2008. Template by Dicas Blogger. Adapted from www.templatelite.com Wordpress Themes

Go to TOP of page