November 5, 2010

Backyard Breeders Beware!

I love my dogs and honestly can say I will NEVER be without one. Dogs give me companionship, comfort and laughter. Daily they give me a reason to get off my butt and exercise. Certainly they have inspired me to write, photograph and blurt out bits of my opinions here!

I figure, if you keep coming back here to read, you probably find my ramblings thought provoking and fun or maybe it's entertaining to watch me unload. It could be, you thrive on subjecting yourself to torture. Who am I to judge!
[Read More... ]

This is one of those posts where I stray away from daily laughs and share something I feel passionate about.

I fully support, encourage ethical and responsible breeding programs and reputable rescue organizations. To responsibly breed a dog, a breeder needs to embark on a continuous learning journey. There is so much more to being an ethical breeder than breeding a dog and knowing how to welp puppies.

Responsible breeding goes way beyond breeding for conformation; it is a committment to breeding for quality health, longevity and temperment. Ethical breeders strive to minimize genetic disease in their breeding program by conducting health tests (no cheating either). You too have a job as a responsible pet owner. It's your responsibility to research your breed for genetic health issues and seek breeders that proudly share written proof of their test results.

I have no tolerance for skipping corners, turning a blind eye and double talk. Those are the things backyard breeders and irresponsible owners do.

Here is a long, but MUST see video! I thank Canine Review, a magazine "Celebrating Canadian pruebreed dogs, people and events" for tipping me off to watch this video. It's a cartoon skillfully dialogued to hit home on the complexity of breeding. The video illustrates the difference between a hobby breeder and a backyard breeder. A must watch people!



~ Ramblings by Debbie

Go Fetch!
Ethical Breeding Article by a great friend!
No Puppymills Canada





11 Comments:

Brian's Home Blog said...

Very well said, it is a shame some humans can't get the responsible part! I hope you have a wonderful weekend!

♥I am Holly♥ said...

Well said and so sad that people think like that. Even more sad is the ones that actually breed dogs like that video. Lots of love, Holly and mom

Unknown said...

Well, denial is a strong human trait.

I am related by marriage to someone who has a similar dream (but fortunately has only bred about 3 litters over the years--1 was unplanned). As the video shows, it's very hard to convince someone of something when their mind is set.

Although I'd love to have said something that would have stopped them from getting their stud dog from the internet, I think the best lesson was going through a litter and having to do the work.

MB (Embee Cavaliers) said...

Love the video. Great message about a topic I'm so passionate about. I really don't understand the mindset sometimes.

Rouky said...

Excellent video! I really love it. Thanks so much for sharing this important message Debbie...

Sue said...

Thank you. I've been preaching responsible breeding for years. There's so much involved. health screening, knowing your pedigree, finding the right mates, placing pups in the right homes and rescuing pups when the home doesn't work out.

Keep up the good work. We'll be back to listen to your rants.
Sue

FiveSibesMom said...

Thanks for stopping by our blog! I am enjoying reading yours. This post about breeding is very good and sad. The video is excellent. More people should see this. Our first b&w Sibe came from a wonderful reputable breeder. However, I do have some from a different "breeder" who I believe bred Huskies just to make money, like in the video, that I left feeling more like I rescued the puppies. Thank you for sharing this important message. Hope you'll come back and visit us again soon. We shall be hopping back here! Happy Saturday!

Bonnie S said...

Love the video -- if only people realized what they were getting into - the dream... in reputable, responsible breeding there is a lot of hardship and heartbreak too. You must have strong shoulders and be totally committed to the breed you love, as I do with my Cavaliers. And yes, I just went through a c-section - a very expensive and scary ordeal.

Anonymous said...

So true. I can't watch the video at work but I'm going to star this to watch at home tonight. I hope you don't mind if I link to your post on my blog. What you have to say is very important.

A few friends of mine are thinking of getting a puppy and I'm trying to stress to them how important it is to seek out a mindful breeder who is aware of all the things you mentioned above.

Beyond the Dog Dish said...

@Rescued Insanity No problem! I always find when I need to make a point with a close friend or family member its better for me to be quiet and just sent on the links ;) On that note I hope my daughters aren't reading my blog today... *opps*

Unknown said...

Great post! So well said! Wish more people could understand these things - and heed them!

Hsin-Yi

About Me

My photo
Loving life with family and friends while exploring my passions; writing and photography. All with my two, Cavalier King Charles Spaniels in tow on day-trips along the Greater Toronto Area waterfront trails and local communities.

Add Miss Kodee On FlickR

MissKodee. Get yours at bighugelabs.com

Bark'n About © 2008. Template by Dicas Blogger. Adapted from www.templatelite.com Wordpress Themes

Go to TOP of page